As the number of planes in our skies continues to grow, so the need for safety becomes even more important. An ICAO review of 28,000 incident / accident reports has found that over 70% of the problems were caused by language.
ICAO standards now demand that all pilots flying internationally and all air traffic controllers providing services to international flights must have a minimum level of English known as ICAO Operational Level 4. The language descriptors (developed by ICAO) can be found here.
Climb Level 4 (CL4) is an online English language assessment and training solution combining Aviation English training and Speech Recognition technology
- CL4 is designed to enable pilots and air traffic controllers to meet the ICAO language proficiency requirements
- Using Speech Recognition technology CL4 covers all 6 of the language skills required to achieve ICAO level 4 and above (pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, comprehension, fluency and interactions)
- CL4 is most suitable for pilots and air traffic controllers whose level of English is presently ICAO level 3 or 4 and who wish to improve to level ICAO 4 or 5
- All of the exercises and reference material in Climb Level 4 are aviation-related
- Access to the CL4 programme is limited to 100 hours, spread over either 3, 6 or 9 months
- Independent study programme offers flexibility and advantages so that learners can study at their own pace and when and where they want